Happy Easter Folks!
Frustrating week. It seems that I am in a situation, at work, where I am giving 100%, but I really don't know what the actual game plan is. Western teachers are expected to behave in a professional, honest and straight forward manner, but are the students and Saudi culture in general ready for our demeanor?
Change is constant, and in some cases may take centuries. As such, I sincerely hope that my presence here is making a significant difference. I want my students to flourish, and I want them to accomplish all that their hearts' desire. However, Saudi Arabia isn't the world, and if they are going to do great things, they must realize what the world outside of Saudi expects of them. I hope I am in rhythm with the big picture.
On a more personal note.... It's getting warmer here every day . Summer clothes are displayed in all the shop windows, and the energy associated with warm weather seems to be everywhere. The students are restless. They are thinking about exams and vacation, and the teachers are just as restless, thinking about home, vacation and in some cases what they are going to do with the rest of their lives. If you can make in Saudi as a single Western woman, you can make it anywhere. Me...I'm trying to take it one day at a time.
Until next time,
Alex
Frustrating week. It seems that I am in a situation, at work, where I am giving 100%, but I really don't know what the actual game plan is. Western teachers are expected to behave in a professional, honest and straight forward manner, but are the students and Saudi culture in general ready for our demeanor?
Change is constant, and in some cases may take centuries. As such, I sincerely hope that my presence here is making a significant difference. I want my students to flourish, and I want them to accomplish all that their hearts' desire. However, Saudi Arabia isn't the world, and if they are going to do great things, they must realize what the world outside of Saudi expects of them. I hope I am in rhythm with the big picture.
On a more personal note.... It's getting warmer here every day . Summer clothes are displayed in all the shop windows, and the energy associated with warm weather seems to be everywhere. The students are restless. They are thinking about exams and vacation, and the teachers are just as restless, thinking about home, vacation and in some cases what they are going to do with the rest of their lives. If you can make in Saudi as a single Western woman, you can make it anywhere. Me...I'm trying to take it one day at a time.
Until next time,
Alex
No comments:
Post a Comment