Happy New Year! I know..I know…it’s been a while since I
have written. Unfortunately, I felt I had
nothing to write about. Same old issues… My Saudi students remain Saudi
Students. Where is my life going? I never get what I want when I want it… I
want to be a millionaire…Why am I not Secretary of State…and the list goes on.
Then all of a sudden it was December. Remember I am in Saudi Arabia and they don’t “do”
Christmas in Saudi. No music, no decorations
and no warm fuzzy holiday feelings. And to top it all off, with December 25th
looming 25 people, the majority being children under 10, were murdered in Connecticut. After that tragedy,
and the constraints of end of semester obligations, I fell into deep despair.
Christmas came and went, (yes I worked on Christmas day) but
there were highlights. One of my co-workers gave me a candy cane and that made
all the difference in the world. Thanks Sarah!
New Year’s, which is my favorite holiday, disappointed me. I
was disappointed in myself more so than the Holiday. For some reason I couldn't get into the swing of my annual New Year’s traditions…cleaning house (both
literally and figuratively)…making specific goals… having the strong drive and
determinations to make those goals/dreams come true…and getting together with like minded
individuals for a low-key but inspiring time. I think cried. If I didn't,
I really wanted to.
During the first week of the New Year I found out that a very good friend’s
mom passed away. I was sad because I couldn't be there for him. Sometimes when
you’re dealing with tragedy having an intimate friend close by is like getting
a candy cane in Saudi Arabia on Christmas day. It makes all the difference in
the world.
Also during the first week of 2013, the same feelings of “I’m
not where I want to be in my life" kept popping up. This frustrated me. The more
frustrated I became, the more I lost my focus. The more I lost my focus, the
more frustrated I became. Sound familiar?
Then suddenly a remark made after
a confrontation I had with one of the other teachers woke me up. I found the
remark very insulting, but after deep contemplation embroiled with humiliation and
pain, I realized that the person who made the remark (not the teacher I had the conflict with) was telling me how she saw
the world…irrespective of whether the comment was true or not. In other words,
her remarks didn't matter, first because they were not true and second because she
was expressing her own insecurities irrespective of what was really true. For
the first time in weeks, I felt liberated.
I felt liberated because I had
been chanting to attract persons of intelligence, integrity, strong character
into my life, and I realized that this person and some of my other cohorts were
the complete antithesis of this. If anything their negativity, immaturity,
selfishness and lack of drive to create miraculous things in their lives was
consuming me and thus all I did was focus on the negative, the past and the "what isn't" when I was with them. It was never about
going forward and succeeding. It was always about obstacles and what should be.
Please congratulate me! I had the great fortune of removing myself from that situation yesterday. I removed myself, not because of them, but because of
me. I had to back-off because I lost my
focus when I was with them. My energy became scattered and thus all dreams and
plans became tenuous. Nothing was real anymore. Everything became a “maybe" or “what
if”?
I’m feeling much better now. I can
hear myself think, and I am beginning to connect with my heart again in order
to follow the correct path to fulfill my mission.
Once I became myself again,
(today) I was consumed with gratitude. Gratitude that I didn't have previously
because I was focusing on the “what isn't”.
What I am grateful for?…I am
grateful for my friends. My true friends. The ones who understand me. The ones
who respect me and the ones that don’t judge me. I am grateful that I am a well
educated woman. Many women world-wide covet my knowledge and my skills and as
such I should not take them for granted. I am grateful for my family and other
people who love me unconditionally. I am grateful that although, my journey has
been slow and sometimes marred with obstacles, that I am making my dreams come
true. I am grateful that I am starting
to seriously take my well-being into consideration. Last, I am grateful for
having had the opportunity to live and work in Saudi Arabia. Not many people, especially women last here,
but my year is almost over and I have definitely made strides in my career, personal development and my
relationships with others. I've become more tolerant and have affirmed that my
well-being (physical, financial, etc.), being true to myself and to my dreams are
the best gifts that I can give myself.
Until next time,
Alex
You're amazing Alex! Slow and steady wins the race. Keep living the extraordinary life. You have many candy cane moments that await.
ReplyDelete~sarah
Alexander loved reading about your experiences. I especially got a chuckle b/c I know you are strong woman and I would think this would be the last place for you. That being said, I'm sure it just makes you a stronger person. Never look back just continue to reach for the stars. I am not there but can bet that you are making a difference,
ReplyDelete