I've been back home in the U.S. for little under a month
now. I have been racking my brains about
what to write about in my final post concerning my adventures in Saudi. For some reason or another, I feel that I can’t
move on to the next "adventure" until this final piece is written and posted. So here
goes…
WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE (THANKS OPRAH): I am a survivor. If I
can live and etch out a living in Saudi Arabia, without going insane and
without going to jail, I can live and work almost anywhere. If I can go into a
Saudi classroom everyday with the determination that I will give 100%, day in
and day out, sometimes with no support, no energy, and sheer indifference from many of my students
and the surrounding culture, then I can
teach anybody and I can teach anywhere.
REGRETS: NONE. Although the living conditions in Saudi are
quite rigid for women, I have grown so much as a person. Although there is still much to learn and
understand, about myself, culture, people, and politics, this journey has
taught me so much, and I understand so much more than I ever thought I would.
I have met some fascinating women. I bonded with women that
I never thought that I could ever bond with. Some I know will be in my life forever, and some I
hope to never see again, but even the ones that I hope not to ever see, have taught me valuable lessons about myself
and my level of tolerance.
MY GIFTS TO THE SAUDI PEOPLE: APPRECIATION AND RESPECT- Look
around. Appreciate your bounty and make good use of it. Nothing lasts
forever. Taking the abundance of your
country, and hardworking people, who leave all they know behind to help sustain
your country for granted, only reaps misfortune and calamity in the future. We
may not all be Saudi, but we are all people working for the betterment of your
country. Appreciate the fact that we are here and that you can afford to have
us here. Respect us enough to treat us with dignity and fairness. Cultural
exchange is the foundation of understanding and tolerance. You can’t appreciate or respect us, if you do
not know us.
MY GIFTS TO SAUDI MEN : YOUR WOMEN- They are beautiful and
competent. Leaving them behind or hiding them behind closed doors will only
breed discord and contempt. Invite them to the table. They have lots to say and
only they can convey their needs and wants to you and rest
of the world. You cannot speak for them because you have never walked in their
shoes. You can never satisfy their needs, their wants, their happiness until
you look in their eyes and you hear their voices.
MY GIFTS TO MY READERS: THANK YOU! Many of you have shared how much you have
enjoyed my posts. Because of you, I have summoned the wherewithal to write this
last installment about Saudi. I don’t know where I will “gathering fortune” next.
Who knows? -It may be right here in Philly. Stay tuned. I promise to keep you
posted.
Until next time,
Alex
No comments:
Post a Comment